Wireless Communications Facilities on Village Property or Streets

Where Will Small Cell Wireless Facilities be Located?

Generally, wireless companies install Small Cell wireless facilities in the public right-or-way on existing structures such as utility and light poles, or install new free-standing poles. Typically, it is not feasible for carriers to request a location on private property as this requires agreements with individual property owners and consistency with the intent and character of the established zoning for the neighborhood.

Can the City Say "No" to the Installation of Small Cell Wireless Facilities in Village Rights-of-Way?

Federal and State law prohibits municipalities from denying or preventing the installation of Small Cell infrastructure in the public right-of-way and requires treatment of the equipment in the same manner as other permitted infrastructure/utilities. However, Greenwood Village maintains authority to regulate Small Cell equipment based on design and appearance standards.

Does This Mean a Small Cell Facility Can be Placed Adjacent to My Property?

Yes, if there is adequate right-of-way and the Small Cell facility meets the Village Code and Small Cell Infrastructure Design Guidelines adopted by City Council. The Village anticipates that most interest will initially be focused in the commercial areas to address the demands of the networks; however, facilities may be placed in residential areas to improve service coverage and capacity, as deemed necessary by the wireless carrier companies. Greenwood Village Small Cell Infrastructure Design Guidelines

What is the Village's Role and Process with Small Cell Applications?

The Village's Community Development Department will review all new wireless communications applications in the public right-or-way in conjunction with the Greenwood Village Small Cell Design Guidelines, and Municipal Code, developed in accordance with Federal and State law. Federal law mandates the Village grant permits within established "shot clock" time frames which vary depending on the type of facility.

How Will I be Notified of Any Small Cell Applications in My Neighborhood?

All new applications for Small Cell wireless facilities will be reviewed and approved administratively, if the applications meet the Village Code and Small Cell Infrastructure Design Guidelines. However, when a new facility is proposed adjacent to a residential area, a courtesy notification will be provided to the adjacent properties with resources for obtaining additional information on the application. The notice may come from the Village or from the wireless carrier company directly, with contact information for questions on the specific facility proposed.

How do I obtain Information on a Specific Facility, or Contact the Wireless Carrier Company?

Contact information for each wireless carrier company with wireless facilities on (or proposed on) Village property or Village streets are shown below. If a wireless facility is proposed adjacent to your property, a courtesy notification will be provided with resources for obtaining additional information on the application. You can also contact the Community Development Department at 303-486-5783 or email with any questions on a specific facility.

Wireless Carriers


Small Cell Information


Email: annie.mackiewicz@t-mobile.com
Small Cell


Email: paul.bouley@zayo.com
Email: eric.boe@zayo.com

Crown Castle

Email: denver@crowncastle.com
Small Cells 101
Featured Project


Email: vzwnetworkcolorado@verizonwireless.com

Small Cell Infrastructure and Health and Safety Concerns

According to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), there is no conclusive evidence that cell phone towers pose any danger to public health. Unfortunately, state and local governments are prohibited by federal law from basing any telecommunication decisions on radio frequency emissions. The FCC has been given sole authority for regulating in this area. The most the Village can do is ask carriers to certify that they comply with FCC federal safety standards.

The Village is part of an organization (Colorado Communications Utility Alliance) that advocates updating safety standards for RF emissions. To date, the FCC has not come out with any regulations specific to 5G. To the extent that you would like to see greater local and/or state control over radio frequency emissions and/or urge the FCC to update its safety standards, we recommend you contact your Congressional representatives.

To learn more about public health in relation to radio frequency (RF) radiation, please visit the Federal Commission or Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

Contact Us

  1. Main Office
    Ph: 303-486-5783

    Derek Stertz
    Planning Manager
    Ph: 303-486-5774

    Community Development
    6060 South Quebec Street
    Greenwood Village, CO 80111

    Monday - Friday
    8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

View All FAQs