Pharmaceutical Drug Disposal
Prescription Drug Drop Off Locations:
The Greenwood Village Police Department encourages you to take your expired or no longer prescription drugs to a drug drop off location. This effort is focused on removing potentially dangerous controlled substances and other medications from our nation's medicine cabinets throughout the year.
The Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office has a Drug Drop Box located inside the lobby of their Headquarters Building, 13101 East Broncos Parkway, Centennial, CO. It is available to the public year-round during normal business hours (Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.), excluding holidays. For more information.
Store Safely....Dispose Wisely
- Store your medicines safely away from children or others who could take your medicine without your permission. This may mean locking up your medicines.
- Practice safe disposal by taking unused or expired medicines to a disposal location (see list to the right).
- Flush pills or liquid medication down the toilet or drain. Flushing pollutes drinking water and potentially harms aquatic life.
If you have no other choice, you can throw most medicines in household trash if you follow these steps:
- Remove medicine from containers and destroy labels to help protect privacy. Recycle containers if possible or hide them in the trash.
- Mix medicine with something that cannot be eaten, such as used cat litter or coffee grounds, to prevent accidental or intentional misuse of medicine by children or animals.
- Wrap the mixture in another material, such as newsprint or a paper sack, or place medicine in seal-able containers (cans, plastic bags).
- Throw in the trash on the day your garbage is collected.
- Place syringes and other injectables in a rigid (empty laundry detergent) or metal container with a screw on cap.
- Place a label/warning on the container (Example: Syringes - Do Not Recycle).
- Place sealed containers in the trash, not recycling.
- Or purchase a sharps container at your pharmacy. Your pharmacy may see pharmacy may sell pre-labeled, mail-back containers.