Planning & Zoning - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

How do I find out my property’s zoning?

The easiest way to find out your property's zoning is to either call the Community Development at 303-486-5783 or stop by our office.

What are building setbacks? What are the setbacks for my property?

Setbacks are required minimum distances between a building and the related front, side, exterior side, or rear property line. These distances determine how far construction must be set back from the property line. Setbacks for your particular property may be determined by calling the Planning Division at 303-486-5783.

How do I find my property lines?

Obtain a copy of your property's legal description (if you don't have a copy, you may be able to get this from the Arapahoe County Assessor's office or copy of the plat map for your subdivision). You may also want to hire a surveyor to reestablish your property corners and property lines for you.

What is a subdivision plat?

A subdivision plat is a survey of property, prepared by a licensed registered surveyor, describing the dimensions and location of lot lines, streets, and easements. A plat also establishes the lot, block, and subdivision name used in real estate transactions. A plat is a legal document complete with:

  • A drawing of the property boundaries
  • A written description of those boundaries
  • All easements and right-of-ways described by distance
  • A dedication statement
  • An owner’s certification statement

Where do I get a survey plat for my property?

Plats are originally drawn by surveyors who provide a copy to the purchaser at the real estate closing for a property. If a survey was completed prior to a real estate sale, a survey plat may be attached to the deed for property located in Arapahoe County and should be available from the Clerk and Recorder’s office. The Village does not maintain surveys of private property.

What is an easement?

Easements are areas of land under private ownership, which the other parties have a legal right to use for specific purposes. Easements frequently exist where public improvements such as utilities, drainage ways, emergency accesses, sidewalks, and bike paths cross private property.

  • In order to preserve their intended uses and to protect the improvements they contain, the city regulates construction in easements through contractor licensing and revocable permitting. Property owners are prohibited from locating structures in public easements and from otherwise obstructing access to or use of the easement.
  • Contractors installing utilities or other public infrastructure within an easement are subject to the same licensing and permitting requirements as would be applicable for work within a public right of way

Who owns the property next to me?

Information on property ownership can be obtained by accessing the Arapahoe County website or by calling the Arapahoe County Assessors Office at 303-795-4600.

Where do I get information about the Comprehensive Plan?

The Comprehensive Plan is available online. It can also be purchased for $30 at the Community Development counter.