Living with Deer

image001.jpgWhen deer appear in or around the Village, it is best to leave them alone. In most situations, they will move to new areas. Remember, if you see one deer on the road, at least one more may be nearby. 

What should I do to protect my property from damage caused by deer? 
  • Commercial deer repellents or mixtures containing eggs have proven successful in warding off deer. However, these solutions may need to be reapplied after rain or snow.
  • You can also keep deer from eating flowers, shrubs, and trees by putting wire cylinders and fences around the plants.
  • Tree Protection: Barriers such as commercial tree wrap may be effective in preventing bark damage by deer. Cylinders of hardware clot (usually self-supporting) or poultry wire (which may require some staking) can also be used. These barriers are placed around the trunks to a height equal to the expected snow depth plus 18 inches. Young trees and saplings are more vulnerable than old trees with thicker, tougher bark. Low-hanging branches may also be within reach of deer and should be included inside the barrier if possible. Routine pruning done in the fall will provide a decoy food source for the deer if trimmings are left on the ground.
  • Contact your local Colorado State University Cooperative Extension office to learn what plants deer avoid. Consider planting native flowers, shrubs, or trees. Contact your local garden center for specific plant type. Several trees which may deter deer are Alder, Ash, Birch, Blue Beech, Catalpa, Chestnut, Gingko, Hazel, Hemlock, Honey locust, Larch, Magnolia, Mountain Ash, Oak, Pines- Austrian and Scotch, Purple Robe Locust, Redbud, Yellow Wood.
  • In all cases, the rule of thumb is: Leave them alone! Deer, elk and other mammals often leave their young while feeding, relying on the young animal's natural camouflage to protect them. Don't assume that just because you don't see the parents, the young have been abandoned.
  • There are very few cases of "abandoned" wildlife. If you are absolutely certain the parent animal is dead (hit by a car, for example), mark the location on a map or measure the mileage from a landmark and report it to Animal Control.